- Suffolk County Council - Bury St Edmunds, IP33 3YU
- £20,258 per annum (pro rata for part time)
- 37 hours per week
- Fixed Term Apprenticeship for 18 months
We welcome applications from everyone. We particularly welcome applications from minority sexual orientations because they are under-represented in this service.
We are committed to flexible working, so please read the Job and Person Profile (docx) to find out about the types of flexible working available for this role.
Are you looking for a new learning opportunity?
Would you like to use your administrative skills to help make a positive difference in the lives of children and young people in Suffolk?
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Children and Young People's Services at Suffolk County Council as an Apprentice Administration Assistant. You will work from West Suffolk House, Bury St Edmunds with flexible and hybrid working options.
Your role and responsibilities:
You will undertake a range of administrative duties to support frontline Children’s Social Care and Early Help teams whilst completing your apprenticeship qualification.
Working in a confidential environment, your main duties will include:
- answering the telephone
- dealing with external and internal customers
- producing a range of different documents using a variety of software packages
- scanning and electronic filing
- processing incoming and outgoing mail
- using bespoke software to maintain records
- organising meetings and booking rooms
- using office equipment
- responding to the needs of a very busy and diverse workforce.
The position will support the completion of Business Administration Level 3 through an apprenticeship provider and be mentored by team colleagues in the office. Time will be allowed within the working week to complete your 'off the job' learning.
- Business Administration Level 3
- 18 months
Apprenticeships have changed, there is now no upper age limit on being an apprentice and we welcome applications from anyone interested in starting or further developing their career in this area. However, the apprenticeship you are applying to undertake must be at a level higher than your highest qualification held in that field of expertise.
The Job and Person Profile (docx) and Apprenticeship Recruitment Brochure contain a range of information that you will find useful in applying for this job so please ensure you read them. The position described is what you would work towards while completing your apprenticeship.
Please note: There is no guarantee of a permanent position, however, at the end of your contract you will have 3 months of priority access to our vacancies to support you to find employment.
You will need:
- Good and clear communication - you will be required to demonstrate good, clear verbal and written communication. You will need to be confident in dealing with a variety of people at different levels.
- The ability to work as part of a team - you will show the ability to build positive relationships with team members, whilst being professional and polite. You will be respectful and considerate of other team members and their views.
- A good understanding of IT and Microsoft packages - you will have a sound working knowledge of Microsoft packages, such as Word, Outlook and Excel. You will also be required to use Microsoft Teams, therefore knowledge of this or similar is desirable.
You can view a full list of requirements in the Job and Person Profile (docx). If you think you have what it takes to be successful in this role, even if you don’t meet all the requirements, please apply. We would appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
Our team are responsible for providing an efficient administration and support service to front-line staff.
We are a busy, friendly team who work closely together to meet the demands and changing needs of the service. We pride ourselves on being approachable, helpful and resourceful and have successfully supported a large number of apprentices to complete their qualification and achieve a permanent position in Suffolk County Council.
Travel and workplace requirements:
We positively encourage the use of technology to communicate, but on occasions, there may be a requirement for you to travel to locations away from your contractual base, using reasonable and suitable means available to you. If you require a reasonable adjustment due to a disability to meet the travel requirements of this role, please speak with the contact detailed below.
This role supports hybrid working, a broadly even balance between working from home and working from an office base. Please speak with the contact detailed below if you wish to discuss how that might impact your working arrangements. #LI-Hybrid
For more information:
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Thea Peck (she/her), Gemma Brockwell (she/her) or Rachael Greening (she/her) by calling (01284) 758777 or by emailing CYPBSAMwest@suffolk.gov.uk
How to apply
Step 1 - Read the Job and Person Profile (JPP) (docx).
Step 2 - Click ‘Apply Now’ to start your online application.
Step 3 - Upload a supporting statement answering the following questions below (no more than 250 words per question). You should use the Supporting Statement template.
- Tell us what skills you have learned whilst at school/college, volunteering and/or working that you think will be useful to you in this role and why?
- Tell us about something you are proud of and why?
- Why are you interested in working for our organisation?
- What are you hoping to gain from this apprenticeship?
- Using our WeAspire values detailed in the Job and Person Profile; tell us about a time or situation when you have demonstrated one of these values?
Please note: Without a supporting statement, your interest will not be progressed. If you would like an adjustment to this process due to a disability, please contact us at 03456 014412 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 11.30pm, 26 September 2023.
This authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS checks or police vetting will be required for relevant posts.
As a modern and effective council, we offer a wide variety of careers to suit people with a range of skills, abilities and ambitions. We offer working options that flex to reflect the way people work today and take the time to understand and support your individual needs. We’re driven to make a positive difference to the world around us and encourage everyone with drive and focus to join us and build an influential and impactful career. Reimagine the possibilities.
In return, you’ll enjoy:
- up to 28 days annual leave entitlement (pro rata), plus UK bank holidays and two paid volunteering days
- membership of a competitive Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- travel, lifestyle, health and wellbeing benefits
- performance-related annual pay progression, in addition to an annual cost-of-living pay increase
- training and encouragement to expand your knowledge
- a variety of career development opportunities across our organisation
- diverse and active staff networks
- flexible working options, with the right to request flexible working from your first day
- plus more!
If you would like to know more about our benefits, values and equality commitments please visit our Working for Suffolk County Council pages (www.Suffolk.gov.uk/careers).