Employer Profile

As part of the Armed Forces Covenent pledge to the nation every jobcentre in the England, Scotland and Wales has access to an Armed Forces Champion. Our roles are to support our UK armed forces community on:

Benefits, Health & Wellbeing, employment & training, and housing advice plus much more.

If you would like to speak to an armed forces champion in your area please email them from the list below

DistrictGroup Armed Forces Champions inbox

East Anglia
Leicestershire and NorthamptonshireAFC.leic.northants@dwp.gov.uk
Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire and RutlandAFC.lincs-notts-rutland@dwp.gov.uk
Staffordshire and Derbyshireveterans.armedforceschampionatdwp@dwp.gov.uk
Birmingham and Solihull, Mercia & Black Countrycentralengland.armedforceschampions@dwp.gov.uk
Cumbria, Lancashire & South and West Yorkshirenorthcentral.armedforceschampions@dwp.gov.uk
Durham and Tees Valley, North Easy Yorkshire, Humber, Northumberland Tyne & WearNEYH.Armedforceschampions@dwp.gov.uk 
Cheshire, Merseyside & Greater ManchesterNorthWest.ArmedForcesChampions@dwp.gov.uk
Scotland (All areas)scotland.armedforceschampions@dwp.gov.uk
London & Essexlondonandessex.armedforceschampions@dwp.gov.uk
Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey and Sussexsegroup.armedforceschampions@dwp.gov.uk
Devon and CornwallDevonandCornwall.ArmedForcesChampions@dwp.gov.uk
Avon, Dorset, Gloucestershire,Hampshire,Isle of Wight,Somerset and Wiltshire southwest.armedforceschampionslead@dwp.gov.uk


Working Age Benefits

If you are unemployed, under state pension age or on a low wage, you could be entitled to a working age benefit. There are a few types of benefits to suit everyones circumstances, however any occupational pensions you are in receipt of can have an impact on them all (i.e. forces pension).

If you have savings above £16000 you cannot claim any income related benefits so you could consider contribution based (DWP call them New Style) Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) and this benefit is for those who have health conditions that affect there ability to work and if you satisfy the contributions to be awarded for this it will last for:

JSA - 6 months

ESA - depends on the Work Capability Decision following an assessment by a health care professional, if you are awarded it it will continue or end if your not awarded it.

If you dont have savings you should consider Universal Credit  - this is means tested so any income you receive is taken into consideration.

If you have a partner that lives with you, you will both need to make a claim for universal credit and if your partner works this is taken into consideration for earnings also.

Depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to a work allowance, this means this is deducted from the total income you have before we start to calculate deductions.

For further advice on any of the above benefits - please call into your local jobcentre or contact your local armed forces champion who will be able to assist you.

For more information on:

Universal Credit click here.

JSA click here

ESA click here

Personal Independence Payments (PIP).

This benefit is designed to help with extra living costs if you have both:

· a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability

· difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition.

PIP is broken down into 2 areas: your daily living and your daily mobility

You can be awarded either or both depending if you meet the necessary criteria during an assessment

You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.

to apply, call PIP on a Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm on Telephone: 0800 917 2222

for those with accessibility needs there are different contact details.

All the above can be found on https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Carers Allowance 

If you are under state pension age and caring for someone for 35 hours or more and they are in receipt of one of these benefits you copuld be entitled to carers allowance:

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Child Disability Payment - the middle or highest care rate
  • Adult Disability Payment - daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate

If awarded you can chose to be paid either weekly or 4 weekly.

(please bear in mind this is treated as income if you are in receipt of any income related benefits)

For more information on Carers allowance click here.

If you are unsure what you should do - please speak to your local armed forces champion who will be able to assist you.